It has been a while, hasn't it? The last post on this blog was in 2019, which in itself is a long time, but when you factor in the impact Covid-19 had on the world, it feels like an entirely different era. In this entry, I'm going to talk about how this unprecedented phase of time led me to get back into a hobby I haven't reconnected with since my childhood - Skipping.
But first, let's talk about the pandemic briefly and create a back story as to how I reacquainted myself with jump rope exercises. Huge lifestyle adjustments had to be made by virtually everyone to adapt to the measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19. These measures include social distancing, remote working when possible and - the topic I am going to focus on today - home workouts.
I will be honest - I did not really have much of a workout routine before the pandemic. To maintain a decent level of fitness, I would take 15-minute walks during my commute, leave the desk periodically and on some days, perform push-ups at home. Upon realising I would be home and usually stuck in one place all the time, I knew relying on a few push-ups performed on an inconsistent basis to maintain my fitness levels wouldn't be sustainable.
It was during a storage clearout I had a light bulb moment when I discovered I had a collection of old skipping ropes lying around; rather old and worn, but still very much usable. When I was in primary school, I enjoyed skipping a lot and much to my surprise, I managed to get into a rhythm pretty quickly. During the summer of 2020, I decided I could make use of the sun rays and keep active by using my trusty skipping rope in my back garden. I would start off on weekends only but gradually managed to fit it into most days of the week where I had a 20 to 30-minute break.
Fast forward to Winter 2021 and my skipping rope is looking more than a little bit tired. Bear in mind, this skipping rope was already 10+ years old and getting bitten by little dust mites probably didn't help its durability. So I used this as an incentive to research how much jump rope technology has evolved and much to my surprise, I discover digital jump ropes and cordless ropes are a thing!
Over the past week, I have tried out a digital skipping rope, much like the one pictured above, and I can safely say this is a must-have for anyone looking to get into jump rope exercises and measuring the impact of your routine. Gone are the days you attempt to count the number of jumps you've done (and failing to keep count once you have run out of breath) - The screen not only keeps track of how many reps you have done, you can also measure the duration you have been active for. If you add your weight, you can also measure the number of calories you've burnt during your session.
It gets better - If you don't have a space large enough to perform exercises on a corded rope, there is a cordless attachment that uses weighted balls attached to the handle to simulate the weight of a rope. The best part is that it is virtually impossible to trip up. It is worth noting that traditional skipping requires the synchronisation of arm and leg movements, so cordless jump ropes provide a great opportunity for newcomers to practise this skill if they wish to progress to using a corded setup.
This entry serves as a reminder that it is never too late to get into skipping and there is now a wider range of options than ever to accommodate different lifestyles. There are many studies that show the health benefits of skipping and people have realised this with jump rope sales increasing by 30% compared to before the pandemic.
If you haven't already done so, how about making jump rope exercises part of your new year's resolutions?
Thank you for sharing the wonderful information with us. We are offering you a best quality cordless jump rope at reasonable price. For more information Visit us!
ReplyDelete